Lately I’ve been really getting into 1940s fashion, but most of the reproduction patterns from that era seem way too hard for a beginner like me.
Enter the Doris dress; although not obviously ’40s, with the right fabric and button choices I think it could have quite a vintage look. Also, it looked pretty straightforward, especially with the tie waist option- no need to stress over the waist fitting!
For my Doris dress I used a navy cherry blossom print fabric that feels lovely and soft against the skin. I used cream coloured buttons to coordinate with the cream in the fabric. I like how the buttons blend in with the rest of the dress whilst standing out at the same time.
I’ve never used a Sew Over It pattern before, so I didn’t know what to expect. The instructions were fantastic; they were halfway between a beginner pattern and a commercial one, concise but friendly. I’ll definitely be making more of their patterns in the future (I have my eye on the 1940s tea dress!).
Whilst the tie belt eliminates the need for precise fitting at the waist, it does come with a few problems. I originally planned to tie it at the back, but I found that this created a huge bulk of fabric ( as you can see in the picture). Maybe it would work better if the ties were inserted in the side seams instead, as then the bulk would be spread out a bit. I don’t mind how it looks with the bow in front, but I would have liked the option of tying it behind.
Overall I’m really happy with this dress. I love how full and drapey the skirt is (although it took me forever to finish the seam allowances on all the panels!) and the vintage feel of it. I probably won’t make it again, but that’s purely due to the fit at the waist and has nothing to do with the pattern itself.